Concerto and Solo Competitions
Note: Information for MasterWorks 2023 will be updated as it becomes available.
Raymond Piano Solo Competition 2023
- Who is Eligible: any student who is participating for the full four-week 2023 MasterWorks Festival, and is entirely or partially enrolled in the piano program.
- Cost to Audition: no fee
- Application Deadline: July 1, 2023, 5:00 pm EDT. No extensions will be granted. Click the link to apply. Raymond Piano Solo Competition Application – coming soon
- Approved Works:
- Solo works, excluding concerti. Students should prepare a completely memorized program with a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 25 minutes.
- Legal print copies of all scores must be provided for the judge.
- First Round: TBA
- The judge will hear approximately 12 minutes of music.
- Students will select the first piece to perform. The judge will select all of the following works and will indicate when to stop and continue to the next piece.
- Finals Round: TBA
- All five finalists will perform.
- Students will select the performance order and play the entire 20-25 minute program.
First Prize: $2,500 scholarship to attend the 2024 MasterWorks Festival PLUS a solo recital performance at the 2024 MasterWorks Festival
Second Prize: $1,000 scholarship to attend the 2024 MasterWorks Festival
Third Prize: $500 scholarship to attend the 2024 MasterWorks Festival
Competition winners can claim their scholarship awards by participating in the 2024 MasterWorks Festival. The first prize winner must participate in the piano program for all four weeks in 2024. Second and third prize winners must participate in the piano program for at least two weeks in 2024. Prize winners must still complete and submit an application for the 2024 MasterWorks Festival.
Concerto Competition 2023
- Who is Eligible: any student who is participating for the entirety of their program
- Cost to Audition: $50 – collaborative artist fee (see below)
- Video Submission Deadline (pre-festival): TBA
- Concertos: Select ONE movement from a concerto found in the public domain. All concertos must be approved prior to entry in the competition. To confirm that a concerto will be approved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Round: pre-festival
- A high quality video recording, with accompaniment, must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, TBA. Recordings must be made in one take, beginning to end with no splicing.
- Submit recordings to email@example.com
- Complete the online application form.
- Piano parts for the collaborative artist must be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (Submission date and time: TBA)
- Finalist Selection: TBA
- After notification, finalists must fill out the online application and pay a $50 registration fee to cover the collaborative artist fee (Submission date and time: TBA)
- Concerto Finals Concert: TBA
- Final Performance with Orchestra: Winners of the Concerto Finals Concert will perform with the Festival Orchestra on the final festival concert.
Solo Honors Recital 2023
- Eligibility: any student who is participating for the entirety of their program. (Semi-finalists for the Concerto Competition will not be eligible.)
- Cost: none
- Video Submission Deadline (pre-festival): 11:59 pm, TBA
- Submission Video: high-quality video recording, with accompaniment (if applicable). Recording must be completed in one take, beginning to end, with no splicing and/or editing
- Online Application
- Piano accompaniment score (if applicable): must be received at the same time as the video recording. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Approved Works:
- solo (accompanied or unaccompanied) works, excluding concerti
- single movement of multi-movement works
- Recital Date: third week of the Festival
All complete entries must include the following:
- application form (email to request)
- video submission
- piano score (if applicable)
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com by 11:59 pm, TBA.
Applicant submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges. Applicants who are selected by the judges to perform in the Honors Recital will be notified by email.