Concerto and Solo Competitions
Raymond Piano Solo Competition 2022
- Who is Eligible: any student who is participating for the full four-week 2022 MasterWorks Festival, and is entirely or partially enrolled in the piano program.
- Cost to Audition: no fee
- Application Deadline: July 1, 2022, 5:00 pm EDT. No extensions will be granted. Click the link to apply. Raymond Piano Solo Competition Application
- Approved Works:
- Solo works, excluding concerti. Students should prepare a completely memorized program with a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 25 minutes.
- Legal print copies of all scores must be provided for the judge.
- First Round: Tuesday, July 12, Twichell Auditorium, 2:00-5:30 pm
- The judge will hear approximately 12 minutes of music.
- Students will select the first piece to perform. The judge will select all of the following works and will indicate when to stop and continue to the next piece.
- Finals Round: Thursday, July 14, Twichell Auditorium, 8:15 pm
- All five finalists will perform.
- Students will select the performance order and play the entire 20-25 minute program.
First Prize: $2,500 scholarship to attend the 2023 MasterWorks Festival PLUS a solo recital performance at the 2023 MasterWorks Festival
Second Prize: $1,000 scholarship to attend the 2023 MasterWorks Festival
Third Prize: $500 scholarship to attend the 2023 MasterWorks Festival
Competition winners can claim their scholarship awards by participating in the 2023 MasterWorks Festival. The first prize winner must participate in the piano program for all four weeks in 2023. Second and third prize winners must participate in the piano program for at least two weeks in 2023.
Concerto Competition 2022
- Who is Eligible: any student who is participating for the entirety of their program
- Cost to Audition: $50 – collaborative artist fee (see below)
- Video Submission Deadline (pre-festival): May 14, 2022
- Concertos: Select ONE movement from a concerto found in the public domain. To confirm that a concerto will be approved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Round: pre-festival
- A high quality video recording, with accompaniment, must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, May 14. Recordings must be made in one take, beginning to end with no splicing.
- Submit recordings to email@example.com
- Finalist Selection: by June 3
- After notification, finalists must fill out the online application and pay a $50 registration fee to cover the collaborative artist fee by June 8.
- Concerto Finals Concert: TBA, in Twichell Auditorium, 8:15pm
- Final Performance with Orchestra: Winners of the Concerto Finals Concert will perform with the Festival Orchestra on the final festival concert on Saturday, July 16
Solo Honors Recital 2022
- Eligibility: any student who is participating for the entirety of their program. (Semi-finalists for the Concerto Competition will not be eligible.)
- Cost: none
- Video Submission Deadline (pre-festival): 11:59 pm, May 28, EST
- Submission Video: high-quality video recording, with accompaniment (if applicable). Recording must be completed in one take, beginning to end, with no splicing and/or editing
- Piano accompaniment score (if applicable): must be received at the same time as the video recording. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Approved Works:
- solo (accompanied or unaccompanied) works, excluding concerti
- single movement of multi-movement works